1.What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before?
I took the fiancé on a steam train ride to Magaliesburg, I did clay pigeon shooting and quad biking with the team at work and hiked 57km doing The Whale Trail with the fiancé’s family. I had to say goodbye to my friends Russ & Vicky who emigrated to the USA. It was very sad to say goodbye, even when we smiling all happy in pictures.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
At the end of 2008 I wrote: Next year…. I want to continue loosing weight, I need to continue working on separation emotion from self and I need to start walking again. Also stick to my zero tolerance for bullshit rule.
Well, I did continue loosing weight until about June 2009… then I got stuck… which is pretty much where I am now. I’ve gained and lost the same 2kg’s over and over again since then. Apparently this is not a bad thing since maintaining a weight loss is what it is about… so I’ve lost between 23kg and 25kg’s now… depending if I’m up on down on those 2kg’s. My walking was pretty consistent but I’ve been so slack the last two months. I’ve been in therapy this entire year working on emotional issues and I’ve resolved many …. When I read the “zero tolerance for bullshit rule” comment from last year, I wonder what I was so cross about?
My new years resolutions for 2010…. Well…. inside me, I feel 2010 is going to be a BIG year. I have no reason to say that except that within my soul I feel that 2010 is going to be a defining, set apart from the rest kinda year.
- Get out of debt.
- Do a 365 photography project.
- Walk 365km for the year.
- Loose another 12kg in the next 12 months.
- Continued “Engagement” Bliss
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My friend Lisa (X-Club) gave birth to Layla in May, and Jax gave birth to Sarah-Kate on my birthday in June, Leigh gave birth to Logan last week and Louisa said happy birthday to Nicola just yesterday.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My Ouma Chrissie died on 7 March 2009.
5. What countries did you visit?
Only South Africa.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
More emotional control, more money, more sex, more patience, more confidence in myself, more just going with the flow.
7. What date(s) from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Ouma Chrissie’s death and our engagement party.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
The rather large project I did for a big corporate client was a smashing success and as far as work goes, a great achievement for me this year. I won a cool award, recognition and knew I could do anything.
On a personal level, doing The Whale Trail was very satisfying and rewarding in a “I can kick ass” kinda way.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not putting in life changing effort into my weight loss program in the past six months. I could have ….
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing serious, but I injured my right upper thigh a few months before we did The Whale Trail and it still hurts… even when I’m not doing anything!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Every year I struggle with this question. I don’t buy much because my finances isn’t such that I buy stuff for lekker… but I am spoiled with gifts.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My family who really made an effort, especially in taking care of Liam for the past few months.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Liam’s various transgressions have been specifically disappointing to me this year… I feel he lost out on many life long memories because of his behavior…. the sad part is, I don’t know if he will ever realize this.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Daily living expenses. I do not have excess to spend.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Our engagement. Being engaged is not the same as being the girlfriend… being the girlfriend is not the same as being the wife… much of excitement for me. I’m one of those woman who need a man. Go figure. No feminist award for me.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
She always gets what she wants – Prime Circle
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
Happier or sadder? Happier
Thinner or fatter? Thinner – second year running.
Richer or poorer? Richer in the sense that my debt is getting less.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I read more, laughed more. Believed.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Thinking, feeling inferior because I’m not a pin up girl.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
We have no kids this Christmas and my fiance and I will be spending it alone.
21. How will you be spending New Year?
We making a big deal celebrating the New Year with all our kids…. We will be giving gifts, eating, laughing, drinking, smiling – you know the Graca advert – just with more noise.
22. Did you fall in love in 2009?
They say true love is falling in love with the same person – over and over again. This is true for me and Noid… in the later part of the year, I fell very hard.
23. How many one-night stands?
Many… all with Noid.
24. What was your favourite TV programme?
CSI, Lie to me, Survivor, Amazing Race, The Apprentice, Brothers and Sisters… I’m watching more TV at the moment than I have in my entire life.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No, not really. The usual suspects.
26. What was the best book you read?
Nothing stands out for me… I just started the first Twilight book this week btw.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Robbie Wessels. Don’t fucking laugh. At heart I’m an Afrikaans girl you know.
28. What did you want and get?
The amethyst engagement ring…….. and many, many, many other things both physical gifts but also emotional details. 🙂
29. What did you want and not get?
I had some issues, but they have become less and less lately and there is nothing big I feel I am going without.
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Sjoe… I’ve seen so many!!!! I loved Benjamin Button. I cried big tears.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 36 this year and celebrated my birthday with my friends and family at Mama Thembo’s in Linden. It was one of my best birthdays ever. It was a HUGE celebration with over 50 people and one of the happiest birthdays of my life.
32.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Not worrying so much about money, feeling more stable emotionally.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Big. All my clothes are too big for me and don’t fit nicely. Does not make me feel sexy.
34. What kept you sane?
My fiance who drives me insane, my friends who keep me grounded…. and occasionally when I experience SILENCE…. the laughter, hugs and kisses from my kids.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Always, Billy Connolly.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
I really haven’t been all that involved in politics this year, but Julius brings a special kind of fuckwitness to making, doing and saying idiotic things.
37. Who did you miss?
My grandparents – daily. Elke dag.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I met so many awesome people through blogging and Twitter this year but also became closer to some I’ve ‘known’ forever, like Angel… who are not imaginary but real!!! They have kept me going, but Meriel (whom I’ve never met in person but who gave of her love to me many times this year… she also gave birth to Lent for Liam) stands out, Totally Cooked who rocks my boat…. and off course Laura. All people I would phone at 3am. I love you…….. and thank you. x
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
Just because somebody doesn’t always do or say what you want them to, just because their point of reference is not yours does not mean they are not loving you with everything they have, with every fibre of their being.
40. Quote that sums up your year.
“What I do today is important because
I am exchanging a day of my life for it.”
– Author Unknown, from A New Day
All the best for 2010 my friends… and Happy Happy so by die Christmas.
Btw – any new years resolutions for you?
Comment, Like and Share – please. :)