Dear friends, fuckwits and interesting creatures –
Something I do love about my own self is that I can create magic!
- I led my children to believe that I AM Judy Garland (okay, me and every gay man out there thinks I AM Judy Garland) which off course makes “The Wizard of Oz” a very different movie to watch at our house. My kids were so convinced that my honour was defended at school with a small fist fight …. and the tradition continued with my friend Jax’s kids… other little kids believed it was “Aunty Stel” clicking her heels to take us all home. 🙂 It brought me great joy being Dorothy and believing in magic slippers …. because it is true – if you believe!!
- I created a hospital fairy when Kevin had to have his tonsils out… (he was two and until this day, the hospital fairy visits should anyone of my kids land up in hospital). The hospital fairy brings you a gift when you wake up, glitter and all. I do remember the first gift the hospital fairy ever did bring was a Brett the Hitman Heart wrestler that Kevin loved. LOL
- My kids get to make a wish if anything unusual happens… two tumbles stick together, if there is a tiny naartjie slice in the middle of many big ones.. if you pick up a small monies…. it’s special.. quick! make a wish….
- Tooth fairy leaves money with glitter…..
- Some years ago, Father Christmas phone Victoria to ask for her wish list on Christmas Eve…. You try to convince her there is no such thing as Father Christmas… (although, she may now believe the North Pole is situated in New Jersey and that Santa has an American accent thanks to the American boy for helping me keep the magic alive! 🙂
- I created Thanksgiving where once a year, the last Sunday in November my friends, family and other interesting creatures get together to eat, drink, be happy and give thanks for all that is good in our lives. I’ve seen grown men cry, people being touched and there is magic in the room.
- I thought of a new years fairy that comes on the first day of a new year…. dressed up to spoil kids with gifts when Noid and I didn’t have them for Christmas that year (baby, I promise, no pictures but you were adorable in wings!!!!)
- I make party packs for my birthdays for adults and kids alike.
- I leave notes in lunch boxes, chocolates on car windows, glitter in overnight bags….. I am not the wicked witch of the East.
Once in a while, right in the middle of an ordinary life, we can create a fairy tale.
I wish you enough,