Dear friends and other interesting creatures –
As my December tan is busy peeling off, so the days of the new year is racing forward ….
I put this quiz together in 2008… so if you complete it, link back to me please? I would love to read about your year. 🙂
My answers for the past few years to the quiz can be found here:
The 2014 edition:
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
- New Year started with me in the bath at my Mom’s house. Never done that before.
- I stayed with my husband’s
2ndx wife for a number of days. Jenny treated me very well and I appreciated her kindness during a difficult time.
- I visited a divorce attorney, and did not proceed with the divorce. The serial bride found someone who won’t give up on her.
- My niece and god-child, Tayla-Jade and I ran through sprayers. A memory we both cherish. It was a real year of growth for our relationship Yay!
- Assisted with editing a book with Rich Simmonds. Thanks for many things.
- Quite by accident I won an evening stay at Budmarsh Private Lodge (the most amazing chef, Chris) and new friendship were formed. It is now my favourite weekend getaway.
- My eldest biological son Kev and I visited Kievitskroon the week he turned 21. It was a really special stay with one on one time with my grown up boy. Watching him eat caviar for the first time. I played chess with those giant pieces with my son Kev. In the end I declared that I am staging a take over. Can’t believe I grew such a fabulous man.
- I attended gay pride in Pretoria for the first time and literally walked my talk with my daughter @VictoriaT99 at my side. When I say I am pro gay rights, religious freedom and the right to choose what happens to your body. I mean it.
- I rung the big brass bell at The Market Theatre!
- Loving Theatre as I do, I have always wanted to attend the Naledi Awards and in 2014 I was invited. Thrilled! I cried for much of it LOL.
- I ate in former, @MasterChef_SA winner, @deenamcsa restaurant Aarya at Montecasino and had Chef Bennie rate my pizza.
- Flew on my own to Cape Town, hired a car and worked/played for ten days while staying at Reading House. I had an awesome time visiting movies, restaurants and tourist attractions alone. It was a great time for reflection for me and getting paid for what I love is a massive blessing.
- I visited Khayelitsha for the first time, with thanks to City Sightseeing.
- Visited Mjejane in the Kruger Park with my parents. It was amazing to take my parents somewhere fabulous!
- Went down the tube slide at Valley of the Waves at Sun City. I am not a fan of such things but I think @SirNoid was proud of me. Yes, Douglas has hit the teenage phase of not wanting his picture taken. It seems all boys do that.
- I have done a photo workshop before, but never a photo tour. Thank you to Cape Photo Tours, @SirNoid and I enjoyed it tremendously. Learned lots and it ignited my love for photography once more! It did involve walking all the way up to the light house at Cape Point which I have never done before either… as well as visit Chapmans Peak which I had never visited before either!!
- Arriving with a fear of heights, @SirNoid and I did the Cape Canopy Tour – 13 platforms and slides up to 320m long way up in the air! Something I never would have entertained 30+kg ago! Would love to do it again.
- I test drove the @FordSouthAfrica #FiestaST for a week. Such fun and a truly fantastic car.
I met incredible people in 2014, from a fast variety of platforms. From people living in squatter camps and destitute to celebrities including beauty queens, drag queens, sports starts, TV stars, fashion icons, music and theater performers. I’m blessed beyond anything I could have imagined.
I attended a massive amounts of diverse events, learned a great deal and were spoiled rotten. It is unreal the amount of love I received in 2014 from social media. Massive amounts of gratitude – don’t stop now !!
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
For 2014, I had the following resolution:
To live authentically. To thy own self be true.
For once, I actually feel I did achieve my resolution.
For 2015 I have the following resolutions:
2. to organize and prioritize (one’s commitments, material possessions, relationships etc.)
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Our nephew, Benjamin was born to Darryl and Sera on 4 May 2014. I absolutely adore the little guy.
When @SirNoid and I play with Benji, I wonder what it would have been like to have had a child of our own… then he cries or needs his nappy changed…and I immediately recover and go back to Twitter or reading a good book.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
One of my first Internet, turned real life friends of almost two decades, Belinda Norman died. Two decades ago, we did the Bee-Bar and Wenchy show on ###SouthAfricaChat…. *sigh* as well as my childhood friend, Vicky’s mom, Mom Alta died late December 2014.
Both deaths upset me greatly for very different reasons.
5. Which countries did you visit?
…. and far off places in my head.
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
- ‘Zen’ – (Mother Mary you know what I mean!)
- Placing greater value on my abilities and time.
7. What date from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory?
Nothing comes to mind.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Changing the way I see food, the way and what I eat – and in the process losing weight.
9. What was your biggest failure?
- Not thinking before I speak.
- Forgetting silence is also an answer.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
While chronic illnesses is just that, chronic, I had a good 2014.
I’ve been able to go off a bundle of medication as my results are now all within normal range since I started #banting. All except iron which is at an all time low. Doctors have not been able to find out why my body does not hold onto it.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Silicone baking stuff. I know right? That doesn’t sound like me at all!
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My husband, @SirNoid – overall resulting in 2014 being one of our happiest years to date.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
I confused friendship with dementia, resulting in a very unpleasant situation. I will not be inviting anyone into our home to stay again.
14. Where did most of your money go?
@SirNoid is the one who earns the money and it goes to living expenses.
I’ve been able to provide a very busy social life with many advantages and great experiences. Often allowing us and our children events and experiences we couldn’t otherwise afford.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
My sister in law, Jenni getting engaged to Johan. She is my favourite Kruger and deserves someone who will love her for the brilliance she is. Johan is also a great catch – basically I came home and told @SirNoid, he is Jenni in man form. He is THE ONE. The kindest soul.
Any man who goes to the pharmacy for a girl he met once at 10pm, drives out of his way, because he is the only person she knows in town and buys meds, including tampons… that’s a keeper!
16. What song/album will always remind you of 2014?
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
•Happier or sadder? I am very happy.
•Thinner or fatter? Thinner.
•Richer or poorer? Richer in spirit. Financially, not so much.
18. What do you wish you had done more of in 2014?
- Said “NO”.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
- Over commit myself, creating avoidable anxiety.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
A very lazy day with @SirNoid at home with my two youngest (step) children, Douglas and Jenna-Lee. We had a braai late afternoon and an amazing thunder storm straight after. Awesome!
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Social media related contacts and clients. I still detest speaking on the phone and prefer to communicate via email, whatsapp or smoke signal. My voice mail clearly says not to leave a message.
22. Did you fall in love in 2014?
A big YES.
23. How many one night stands in this last year?
All with @SirNoid.
24. What was your favourite TV program?
- The Black List.
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
I detest actions or behavior, not people.
26. What was the best book you read?
I did not read near enough and didn’t keep my Goodreads up to date…. how sad is it that I can’t give a title?
27. What was the best theatre production you saw?
Alison!! The Sound of Music, Liefling, Rocky Horror Picture Show, Mixed Tape – phenomenal productions this past year.
28. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Mary Lambert – Secrets being my favourite.
29. What did you want and get?
A happy, solid, hard working, committed, sexy and loving husband…..
and an ice cream maker. Ha ha ha!
30. What did you want and not get?
Maybe that is a joke amongst freelancers?
31. What were your favourite films of this year?
“Begin Again” Loved that!
32. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 41. Had a pizza party. Had an awesome birthday.
33. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I hadn’t underestimated myself so much.
34. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2014?
For once I actually had some fashion ideas, especially after attending SA Fashion Week.
35. What kept you sane?
36. Which celebrity/public figure made an impact on you?
The fashion due, Alan Foley & Krishen Samuel – @AlanKrishen. Because of their reputation, fashion icons baby, I was quite intimidated meeting them. The moment we were introduced I found two true gentleman. Classy. Full of humour. Intelligent. Genuine. No pretense. Hearts of gold.
37. What political issue stirred you the most?
Zuma…. Asking for the second coming. Seriously dude?
38. Who did you miss?
I always miss the kids, sometimes more and sometimes less! I’m a human mom dammit.
39. Who was the best new persons you met?
Two people truly stood out for me.
Zavion Kotze. @Survivor_SA contestant, wedding planner and general gem. Read my interview with him and you will understand why I like him so much.
Albert whom I met at Reading House. While he is old enough to be my son, he showed me great kindness, an awesome sense of funny and a tremendous dedication to his craft. I arrived a stranger, but left a friend.
40. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2014 and how it made your life better.
- People may leave, not because of who you are, but because of who they are.
- I learned it can be very liberating when you realise you are not responsible for the actions of others.
41. Quote a song lyric that sums up 2014?
Jy met jou drome en gedagtes in jou oë
Jy met jou vrede wat in elkeen hoop en glo
Jy met jou deernis jou geduld en jou verstaan
Jy wat jou seer alleen wil dra
Ek wil vir jou
Somer wees en stilte gee
Ek wil vir jou
Die son gaan haal die wind die see
Ek wil so graag
Myself vir jou gee
Jy met jou woorde en gebede in jou hart
Jy met jou vreugde so in oorvloed uit jou hand
Jy met jou wysheid jou geloof in elke dag
Jy met die seer agter jou lag
Woorde en Musiek: Christa Steyn
43. Most cherished memory of 2014?
@SirNoid offering me his last Rolo.
I wish you enough,
Comment, Like and Share – please. :)