I hear him open the front door and admit feeling a small excitement. It is 21h33. He has worked another 12 hour day.
It feels like the long walk to freedom as he climbs the stairs to our bedroom.
He walks in with a smile and we talk about our day. We both worked from our strengths today leaving us energised mentally, while we clearly exhausted physically.
He walks over and hugs me. I love that melting into a bear hug feeling. Out of nowhere he says, “I still love that photo of you. It is my favourite.” I smile.
It is a photo I gave him during the few short days leading up to our elopement.
1. I love how sentimental you are.
2. I love when you wink at me from across the room.
3. I admire your dedication to provide for our children and I financially to the best of your ability.
4. I think you are crazy screaming at the TV when the Cheetahs or Liverpool FC is playing, but it is very testosterone!
5. I think it is sweet when some innocent (usually gay friend!) man compliments me on social media and you respond with “He knows you are married right?” … or “Does he need reminding?”
6. I love that you like animated (kids) movies as much as I do. We never miss those pre-release invitations!
7. Every night when I fall asleep with my phone or tablet on my face or chest, I imagine you shaking your head, putting it on my table and switching off the light.
8. It’s kinda fun when I think back to our first dance in your Mom’s lounge late one night. “Let’s do the time warp again!”
9. Thank you for pretending that my ever growing library is not hording.
10. I appreciate that you do the dishes on weekends and wipe every corner of the kitchen.
11. Your ability to see me as extraordinary amazes me. I seldom see what you see.
12. I overhear you telling someone of something I have done with such pride …when I wasn’t aware that you even knew I did it. So you do pay attention! 🙂
13. You will remind me of my gifts at times I want to strangle you. This may be a tactic to save yourself!
14. Apparently it’s weird that we phone each other from different parts of our apartment. I’m glad we find this normal.
15. I appreciate that you remind the kids to wish me a happy birthday or a happy mothers day. I hope one day they won’t need a nudge.
16. Being quite a conservative man, I’m still not sure why you married me…and I’m not the one that suggested we elope !
17. I love that you don’t complain about paying for proper perfume. Especially since we kinda chose it together by accident. “Angel” it is.
18. Love it when you cook rare steak with cream cheese. It makes me feel very spoiled because you make a mean steak.
19. Huge gratitude for your never ending support in my chasing my social media, blogging and book publication dreams.
20. I do wish illness was not part of our package. It is horrible to lie and say “I’m fine!” when I’m not. Thank you for knowing the difference.
21. I think it is very funny that you flush the toilet before you use it. Are you even aware of this habit? 🙂
22. I adore all your purple shirts and that you specifically will look for a purple one.
23. It is hilarious how genuinely confused you look when I once again swap the furniture around.
24. Thank you for laughter when I do something silly for the hundredth time….like burning myself every bloody time I cook anything. Memory nor precision being a talent of mine.
25. I still hate the colour of your car. I’ve tried…. but the next car, I’m choosing the colour bad boy!
26. I wonder what will happen to the gifts I give you that you refuse to eat because they sentimental… as I look at the chocolate cow I bought you three years ago teasing you for playing “HayDay”.
27. Sometimes you drive me around the bend. Good thing I always wanted to travel. (Thank you Shirley Valentine)
28. The massage oil you used last time, is next to my bed. Feel free to use it again.
29. I love that you and Victoria have a pet name for each other. It is very endearing.
30. I love it when we walk to the Mall, holding hands and pretend we don’t see rain clouds.
….finally in closing, having written for every day of August…
31. Thank you for your generosity in acknowledging what drives me to do the things I do, which makes me love you more!
Hope Believe Dream