Dear friends and other interesting creatures –
I drew this quiz up in 2008… so if you do it, link to me please? I would love to read about your year.
My answers for the past few years to the quiz can be found here:
2012 – Year End Quiz Answers
2011 – Year End Quiz Answers
2010 – Year End Quiz Answers
2009 – Year End Quiz Answers
2008 – Year End Quiz Answers
Here is the 2013 edition:
I have found it exceptionally difficult to complete this, this year – so I as for your sensitivity and love as you read my words. Just so what I write make sense, as I sit down to write this early in January 2014, if you do not already know, Dion and I separate during December 2013. I will not allow any bashing or disrespect towards him, me, nor the situation – so comments such as those, will be swiftly deleted.
I live my life in widening circles that reach out across the world. – Rainer Maria Rilke
1. What did you do in 2013 that you’d never done before?
- Dion and I visited his parents in Swellendam and on our second trip took some of the kids along and toured a bit of the Garden Route. I loved the touring part. I loved road trips with Dion.
- We also took some of the kids to a work incentive Dion earned to the Kruger National Park. I had not been there in 20 years and it was a fun time seeing the animals and the kids faces.
- I ventured into Social Media, head over my comfortable flat shoes and loving it.
- Attending all kinds of events, premiers, running blog competitions, writing reviews about products, places and productions… I have truly loved every second.
- I visited backstage, sat in on rehearsals and saw shows come to live. It is a thrill I cannot adequately described – theatre is magical to the point of lost for me.
- I met unbelievable people, both performers and personalities. I learned so much (Thanks @Jodeneza for getting me “started”!), I messed up, I did good, I came far in a short time, I met my Twitter Celebrity @RichSimmondsZA (seriously, it was child like LOL) – and this is only the beginning! I am thankful to all who has given to me as a teacher and a mentor. My gratitude is endless.
- I did my first Twitter Blanket Drive!
- I also thank Dion for his support, especially financially as setting up a new brand is not an easy task on money or time.
- Our Kyle took part in his first body building competition. His weight loss scared me! He has always been fit, always worked out but never have had I seen him that skinny.
- My watched my son @KevvieCartman perform on stage – @RIAD_Band. At the first performance I cried more than I could hear. I loved that Kevin and Chris did not just dream, but do.
- I met up with an old friend….. @_Denise_Cross_ at a business function. Actually she was my maid of honour at wedding #2 ………..after almost a decade. We had grown so much emotionally yet we knew each other by heart – immediately. Awesome. She introduced me to: “Forever Living“
- My BFF, @WilhelmNiekerk took me to such a fanTy cake shop for a treat!!!! It was absolutely awesome and far from our usual hang outs – also in price! LOL
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
For 2013, I have the following resolutions:
I would like to d0 100, 1 hour workouts at Virgin Active before my birthday in June 2013. This is going exceptionally well.
Read 100 books before end December 2013 – Kindle or hardcopy – keeping track on Goodreads.
I need to lose 25kg by June 2013.
- If there are significant life changing decisions to be made. This is the year.
I take it #4 was accomplished. 😦
For 2014 I have the following resolutions:
- To live authentically. To thy own self be true.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes! My cousin Marlize gave birth to miracle baby Miya who arrived a couple of weeks early.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I claim the father of my nation as my own so yes, our Madiba died.
5. What countries did you visit?
6. What would you like to have in 2014 that you lacked in 2013?
- A greater maturity on many levels.
7. What dates from 2013 will remain etched upon your memory?
13 January 2013 & 20 December 2013.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Stepping into that first meeting on my own.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not defining my own worth.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Dion bought. I received. Thank you.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
My sister Rentia. She has done her best to be dignified under tremendous illness and hardship. She is our Braveheart…. like a drum baby don’t stop beating….
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
It was a year of many behavioural disappointments, my own and others.
14. Where did most of your money go?
I did not earn very much money, so the money Dion earned went towards our living expenses and the trips we made.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Watching Starlight Express (Jo’burg Theatre) unfold and being part of it on so many levels. It was incredible. I will never forget the emotion, the pride, nor the excitement. Ever. Loved it!
16. What song/album will always remind you of 2013?
I am the Starlight as sung by my friend, Bonginkosi Mthombeni
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
•Happier or sadder? Obviously I am not dancing the cha-cha!
•Thinner or fatter? I am giving up on this one. Love me or leave me. I’ve had it. I do my best and that has to be good enough.
•Richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of in 2013?
Been financially more successful…. “Do something you really like and hopefully it pays the rent. That is success” -Tom Petty – I claim those words for my future.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Feeling anxious. Keeping silent when I wanted to scream.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
My son Kev cooked lunch. 🙂 Thanks my boy. I at least had two of my kids with me – I couldn’t care if it was Christmas or a regular day. Any day I have any of my kids with me is like unwrapping happiness.
21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Finally work stuff!
22. Did you fall in love in 2013?
No – I loved, but I did not fall in love.
23. How many one night stands in this last year?
24. What was your favourite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
No. Hate is no longer part of my life. It belongs to yesterday.
26. What was the best book you read?
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
A closer relationship with my parents.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What were your favourite films of this year?
The Hobbit – both of them.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 40. It was nothing like I imagined but it was a very happy day.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Seeing more of my kids, hugs, kisses, love, cupcakes, cocktails… need I go on?
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2012?
I have no concept of fashion. None.
34. What kept you sane?
Zanax helps me pretend.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Janice Honeyman and Bernard Jay from @joburgtheatre. This year was a life changer and sitting with them at the same table, not once, but TWICE!! – no words. Only awe. Oh the rest of the #newmedia team ain’t bad either.. *smile*
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
Zuma. He does enough stirring all on his own. *sigh*
37. Who did you miss?
My kids. All of them. Always.
38. Who was the best new person you met?
I made some unbelievable friends this year – OUSTANDING INDIVIDIUALS, but there is one young man whose dedication, pure love and conviction for his craft truly just spoke to my heart, @LouwBreytenbach from @LALTH_JHB. I am so proud of you my dear friend. You are a great friend, an amazing performer, an outstanding teacher and well…… I will love you for a thousand years. #friendsforlife
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2013.
You never know how drastically your day can change from sunshine to sunset.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year?
“Clown” (Actually read the words, line for line)
I guess it’s funnier from where you’re standing
Cause from over here I missed the joke
Clear the way for my crash landing
I’ve done it again
Another number for your notes
I’d be smiling if I wasn’t so desperate
I’d be patient if I had the time
I could stop and answer all of your questions
As soon as I find out
How I can move from the back of the line
I’ll be your clown
Behind the glass
Go ‘head and laugh
Cause it’s funny
I would too if I saw me
I’ll be your clown
On your favourite channel
My life’s a circus circus
Round in circles
I’m selling out tonight
I’d be less angry if it was my decision
And the money was just rolling in
If I had more than my ambition
I’ll have time for ‘Please’
I’ll have time for ‘Thank you’
As soon as I win
From a distance my choice is simple
From a distance I can entertain
So you can see me
I put make-up on my face
But there’s no way you can feel it
From so far away
I wish you enough,